1) My First 5 Husbands by Rue McClanahan. She’s one of my heroes and this book opened my eyes of what an amazing, strong and wonderful person she was. It’s an amazing book! (and it’s hilarious too!!!) It shows just how much you can do anything if you can dream it and you want it!
2) Amelia Earhart Bio (DK series). This book is the one who introduced me to the amazing person who is Amelia Earhart. I was the first book I’d ever read about a woman who changed history, made a name for herself and was her own person! A lot of what I learned in that book has shined into my life.
3) Nancy Drew Notebooks series. When I was a kid, I LOVED this series!! It showcases Nancy Drew as a young girl, solving mysteries with Bess, George and Ned!! I remember staying up at night with my little flashlight from Home Depot, reading under the covers trying to finish the book!! It opened my eyes to what you could do as a kid!
4) The Diary of Anne Frank. This book changed me. I swear, there were parts of that book that sounded like MY diary! It was amazing what she went through. I don’t cry very often, but this book choked me up. I will always remember her.
5) Between a Heart and a Rock Place by Pat Benatar. She is one of my heroes (like all of the women in this list) and this book (again) opened my eyes to what prejudice against women musicians in the 80′s. It was shocking. You would have never known what crap she went through.
Ok, here’s the trick. Scroll up and look at these books again and I want you to find the common ground. It’s ok, I’ll wait. Ok you’re back, did you find it?! If not, I’ll tell you.
All of these books have been written by or about women who were strong, confident and amazing and who have all made history ALL in different ways. Each of these women will have a special place in my heart until the day I die.